Monday, December 26, 2011

Shining Stars


It's the day after Christmas and I must share that it was the most meaningful one I've ever had. In the past I would always get all caught up in all the worldly trappings of the holiday. But this year I really prayed for a blessed family time . The plan was for us, my husband, me and my 2 grown kids to go do our traditional santa visit on Christmas Eve at 3pm then to our church service at 4 and then dinner reservations at nice restaurant at 6pm. You see, I like plans...they have to go the way I want in order for things to be right & I admit I have had a hard time dealing with when things don't quite happen correctly. Now this as the first time our kids have gone to our new church with us, we shared with them to just come with an open mind and heart. Our son was all for it, which really surprised me but our oldest was a little hesitant and I sensed her negative attitude but instead of me reacting to it...I PRAYED and bit my tongue! Huge miracle there!

Our first stop at Santa went off without a hitch...the kids took their traditional picture..our 22nd one. I have all of them displayed every year...it's great to see and they still love doing it. Although we do still bribe them with a nice steak dinner afterwards!

So the next stop was church, we pull in and the lot was full but not overly full but oddly no one else was walking in, we were a little early at 3:30 but hmmmm? As we approached I could hear our pastor speaking and asked someone what time was the service....he said 3! Yikes! I messed up the days, I looked at the service times for the 23rd not the 24th but in my defense it did say Christmas Eve services but I still goofed! Now in the past this would of sent our family in a tail spin and we would of blown off church to make our dinner reservation. Instead I took a deep breathe, prayed and said lets go in and sit in the lobby for the next service which was not until 5:30pm. My son was totally ok, said that's ok Mom everyone makes mistakes. Wow, did my 18 year old really just say that to me? Now my daughter was visibly NOT too thrilled but we preceded to go sit in the lobby on some comfy couches and enjoy the people coming and going and listen to the carolers. It gave us a chance as a family to sit and be still and a chance for my kids to take in this new type of church environment. My son was saying he was excited as he was watching the pastor on the tv monitor my daughter on the other had, who I had strategically placed on the other side of my husband, was whining...she was cold, so I offered her my scarf, she was hungry, so bought her a brownie. She had the I just want to get this over with attitude. I knew the enemy was hard at work to get me frustrated and knew he was at work with her to keep her from opening up her heart and mind to the new expierence.
Instead of getting all flustered, I held on to my husband's hand and prayed to just be a good example of Christ to them.
Finally the doors opened for the service, needless to say it was amazing. God released me from all my anxiety and the Holy Spirit filled ALL our hearts! My kids could really relate to the message, it was something they never really could get before at our traditional church. I posted to the link to the service if your care to listen. It was just dead on about how we should be stars to others to the bring them to Christ and NOT shooting stars...blasting religious bander, which I've so I have done with my family in the past. Do as I say, not as I do!

I have never felt so blessed with my kids and husband. Although, I deeply miss the Christmas' I've spent with my parents as they were always a part of our traditions. I am now so blessed to have the opportunity to create a new meaningful Family Christmas tradition with my own little family.Now I'm the matriarch and my husband the patriarch and we now prayerfully take on the responsibility to be shining stars for Christ in the lives of our children!

Be Blessed my friends...shine bright! - Deb

3 comments:

  1. CLICK ON MY TITLE "SHINING STARS" to view my Pastor's message if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I'm so glad the service blessed you and your family. I am thinking of instilling a rule that everyone living in my house (even the temporary ones) has to attend a church service weekly.
    It just needs to be part of what we do as a family...and this new rule isn't going to go over well. But, like you, I'll ask God to work that out and I'll be obedient in the meantime. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of you, Debbie, and praying for the seeds planted in your kids' hearts to take root!

    ReplyDelete