Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Praying for Our Children

How many of you moms out there would rather donate a kidney than have one of your children be mistreated or rejected or watch them come up short? I don't think it matters what age they are or even how well they handle disappointment. I just take it personally when one of my kids is hurt or overlooked but, sadly, the scales don't always balance. This morning on my commute to work, I thought about a situation affecting my family right now and involving one of my kids.  By the end of the week, this child is likely to be either very happy or very disillusioned. I know how I think things should turn out, but I am really seeking God about how I need to respond either way.

In times like these, I believe God wants us to meditate on His Word and seek the greater lesson for our children, rather than worry about outcomes. Most of the scriptures I thought about this morning, I did not know word-for-word. I also didn't know the exact reference for many of them. I just did the best I could at recalling them and trusted that God knew my heart. After meditating on each truth, I prayed something simple but specific. Specific and relevant to my child's situation.
  • "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm." (Prov 13:20)  Lord, please surround _________with the right companions. I desire that above any temporary successes he/she may experience.
  • "Let another praise you and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips." (Prov. 27:2)  Lord, may ___________ gain favor in the sight of those in authority over him/her. Let them see effort and integrity and strength of character, not just talent and skill. May my children be slow to speak about their own abilities, knowing that you are their Advocate and that you are trustworthy. You will raise them up at the proper time.
  • "For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes." (Deut 10:17)  Father, You are the Final Authority over all authorities. You have the last word and cast the final vote. Your Will is not swayed by popular opinion or politics or people's changing priorities. Accomplish Your Will in this situation. I'm not asking You to show partiality because that is contrary to Your character. I only ask that Your Will be done. Please dispense grace to ____________, to accept Your "yes" with humility or Your "no" with confidence and thanksgiving.
  • "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before Him. It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God --that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption." (1 Cor. 1:27-30)  Lord, I confess that my desires are often short-sighted and do not match up with what You deem to be of value. Please forgive me for this, and help me love only what you love. Lead my children, by Your Spirit, to pursue Christ...always first...to choose the things You would choose and to have no desire for things that do not please and honor You.
  • "He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows and familiar with suffering..." (Isa. 53:3)  Please remind ______________ at just the right moments, God, that Your Son was rejected by his own people. He did what was right, but that did not prevent His suffering. Remind _________ also that Jesus knew His mission was greater than short-lived acceptance. He had a calling to glorify His Father at all costs. We have the same calling. Help us live beyond these ordinary moments in full awareness of eternity, knowing that Your Word says we have been "rejected by man but chosen by God and precious to Him." (1 Pet 2:4) What an honor it is to be precious to you, oh God! Help ________ know how precious he/she is to You.
By the time I got to the office this morning, I was spilling over with hope and joy for my child because I had been reminded that God is in control and He is always working on our behalf. I looked up references for the verses brought to mind in the car and am blogging today in hopes that I can encourage a mom who is just about ready to give up on praying for her child or give in to the discouragement that so often comes with parenting. Don't do it! Before I left the house this morning, I was right there with you, almost convinced that the only choice I had was to wait until the end of the week and then react to whatever happens.  My child, who so often takes his/her cues from me, would then do the same. When I recognized that the enemy wants to rob us of today because he knows Christ has already secured our futures, I refused to wait passively. In the waiting, I will pray. I will listen for God's voice. And I will try to teach my child to do the same.

~Maria

3 comments:

  1. We are richly and abundantly blessed to be able to call you Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, honey! I'm so blessed to be your mom!

    ReplyDelete