Thursday, January 12, 2012

High Fashion

I'm a jeans and sweatshirt kind of girl. In my family, my sister was the one who cared about clothes, while I was always much more concerned with comfort. If you knew us both then or know us now, you know that not much has changed in that regard. Still, I have to admit that, despite my disinterest in color palettes or what's-in, I love putting on something new. Shoes. A sweater. Jeans. A skirt, top, or scarf. It makes no difference. Wearing something new can almost make me care about "looking good."

You may be shocked to learn that God cares about what we wear. Yep, it's true. Oh...Don't worry. This isn't a blog about modesty or whether it's OK to sport shorts and flip flops to Sunday morning worship services. God's concerns run much deeper. 1 Samuel 16:7 tells us "The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." It shouldn't surprise us then that He has something to say about the fashion of our hearts. Take a look at what I read this morning in Colossians 3.

"...So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. 
Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires.
Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater,
             worshiping the things of this world...
You used to do these things when your life was still part of this world.
 But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. 
Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. 
Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and
 become like him...Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves,
 you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy,
 kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you.
Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. 
Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. 
And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts.
For as members of one body you are called to live in peace." (vv 5-10, 12-15)

The Message (which I, incidentally, LOVE) puts verse 9 this way:
"You're done with that old life.
It's like a filthy set of ill-fitting clothes you've stripped off and put in the fire.
Now you're dressed in a new wardrobe.
Every item of your new way of life is custom-made by the Creator, with his label on it.
All the old fashions are now obsolete."

Don't you appreciate the vivid word-picture that Paul painted for us? How do we not get it? Christ didn't come just to make us look better. He came because we were spiritually dead and bankrupt! Why is it that, having been given spiritual life, we continue to wear the old clothes in which we were buried? It's time to throw out the garments of pride, greed, anger, and all the rest, and begin consciously and carefully outfitting our hearts each day as God has designed.
Total, uninhibited access to my heart is what Christ commands. Because I want to experience a fresh move of God in my life and have it spill over into my marriage, my home, my work, and my church, I am committed to whispering this simple prayer each morning and throughout my days --beginning today. If you feel led, I hope some of you will join me.

Clothe me in Christ, Father, by the power of Your Spirit. Amen.
~Maria

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
    Every day (sometimes multiple times throughout the day), I need to take off what feels like my favorite Levi's. Yes, they were comfortable. Then.

    It's not easy to throw our favorite jeans away and it isn't easy to put on our new spiritual life, either. But there are far more beautiful things to wear than jeans with holes. :-)
    Thanks Maria! Great word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you Maria! That so what I needed to hear this week.I have committed to this Christian change of lifestyle but yet often struggle with things of my past that no longer fit! This message so has blessed me! <3 You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you, too, sweetie! Remember that we cannot do anything in our own limited power but can do everything through Him who gives us strength. I was really convicted this week about putting on new OVER old, rather than new INSTEAD OF old. It's a process, but there is always, always grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool, refreshing perspective. I know that I feel like my perspective has gotten lazy, as well as my appearance and self evaluation. It is time to get back into the GYM (the Word) and be FIT (Prepared) to tackle TEMPTATION (Sin)and finish the 5K (Life) knowing, when the time comes, (Heaven)... that I have done everything as my TRAINER (God) would have wanted from his Servant. Love you girls.

    ReplyDelete