Thursday, February 16, 2012

This is the Stuff

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:33, NIV)
"Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met." (The Message)

Our culture constantly bombards us with messages about what's important and where we should place our attention. Often, those things we're told are "news-worthy" provide a welcome distraction from the day-to-day, sometimes ordinary concerns that weigh us down. Rather than digging deeper into our own circumstances until we see God beyond them and can discern what He's trying to say to us, we look elsewhere. It's easier. We're like the dog that's intent on finding a bone in the backyard, only to see a squirrel and chase off after it instead.

I've been pretty preoccupied for several weeks now with concerns about my kids and my dad, my own health issues, demands on my husband's time, pressures and deadlines at work...nothing too earth-shattering, but still enough to wear on me. You have no idea how tempting it is, when I feel this way, to just "deal" with my life rather than really live it. I spend more time on Facebook than I do reading God's Word. My prayers get less energy than my rants about flags in NJ being flown at half-staff for Whitney Houston. Is it any wonder my circumstances are getting the best of me?

Francesca Battistelli has this great song I love called "This is the Stuff", and it speaks to the way God uses ordinary thing in our lives.
This is the stuff that drives me crazy.
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately.
In the middle of my little mess,
I forget how big I'm blessed.
Oh, this is the stuff
that gets under my skin;
But I've gotta trust, You know exactly what you're doing.
It might not be what I would choose,
but this is the stuff You use.
The lyrics are exactly correct. God uses everyday, commonplace "stuff" to teach us some pretty important lessons, but we have to be paying attention. We have to stay focused. It's just too easy to miss the bigger picture when your child is heart-broken over not making the soccer team or your father's health is failing and you're 600 miles away or your short-staffed and even shorter-tempered. ...But make no mistake; there is always a bigger picture to be seen. 

EVERY situation we face in life has the potential to make us more or less like Jesus. Becoming more like Him requires that we let some of those squirrels go.

~Maria

2 comments:

  1. Right on it sister! I'm so there too! Thanks for the reminder! I LOVE THAT SONG! I thought about blogging about it before too! GREAT minds! <3 u!

    ReplyDelete