Saturday, March 9, 2013

Everything Beautiful In Its Time

"In 1519, Spanish conquistador Herman Cortes scuttled his own ships, in order that his men would have nothing to rely on, apart from their...assurance that they would conquer and win the land, or die in the attempt." (Partha Bose)

"Burn the ships; we're here to stay. There's no way we could go back, now that we've come this far by faith. Burn the ships; we've passed the point of no return. Our life is here, so let the ships burn." (Steven Curtis Chapman)

God's timing is perfect. Even this morning, as I sluggishly opened my Bible at 7 for some time alone with Him, He had me on His mind and knew what I needed Him to speak to my heart.  "There is a season for every purpose under heaven."

You see, last night I ordered my daughter's college graduation announcements, and I was more than a little nostalgic after doing so. I thought of so many moments through the years, and in every one of them ---at every point when younger mothers would ask--- I would tell them, "This is the best stage of life."

Then, as if last night hadn't been enough of a reality check, my son was up at 6 this morning to go for a run, shower, and then head out to take the SAT. My baby boy is taking the SAT and preparing for what comes for him after high school. Through slitted eyes we saw him off and then returned to bed, but I couldn't sleep. I watched my husband as he drifted off contentedly, and I thought about who we used to be. Young and in love. In college ourselves. Blissfully unaware of what our futures had in store, how much we would love these two other people who would complete our family one day, and how hard it would be to let them go.

And then God spoke. His perfect Word reminded me that "When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other." (Eccl. 7:14)  "Do not say, 'Why were the old days better than these?'.  For it is not wise to ask such questions." (v. 10) Times like these require me to make a choice, whether to live looking back or in pure enjoyment of the season of life in which God has me. My husband and I have learned so much through the years, not just about one another, but about the world and how our Creator works in it. About who we are individually and together in Christ. About the importance of living in light of eternity. There really is no way to turn back, and now that faith has brought us this far, would we even want to?

God's timing really is perfect. What's more, His time is perfect.The day ahead of me is like a blank check, and I will make the most of it. I'll appreciate the fact that I can meet my daughter for some shopping on a Saturday, halfway between the university and home, but then I'll come back here to my man...to the life we've made together, in a comfortable house where we can sit in front of the fireplace tonight and watch college basketball (it is March, after all!). We don't ever again have to worry about exams or if we'll ever find the right job or person with whom to share our lives. We've come this far together, and we'll be together until God finishes writing our story. I guess I was right all those years ago. This really is the best stage of life.

What about you? Are you content to walk with God in the moment and in faith? Not looking back or looking too far ahead. Just focused on Him, His provision, and His amazing blessings. Enjoy this day; God made it just for you!

~Maria

1 comment:

  1. As a recent empty nester (and then a boomerang kid returned which I love!), I'll say this. It's a blessing to watch your children's independence and dreams unfold during college and then afterward. And with that comes more time to spend with that guy you fell in love with all those years ago...it really is the best of times...until the next best of times comes along.

    ReplyDelete